Semantic resources project/Ontological Term Query Interface
Now that we've got two implementations of interfaces which turn text into ontological terms, it's probably time to abstract the interface.
What does an ontological query require?
- query text : the text to match, either completely or in parts
- context : identifier to allow disambiguation of synonyms
- target ontologies : what should be matched against?
- known matches : what parts of the text are known to match already?
What should an ontological query receive in response? A list of proposed matches, each of which includes:
- match location : the location of the substring in the original query text that was used to generate this match
- matched term : the value which is matched to this term, typically, a term from one of the target ontologies
- matched ontology : the ontology from which the matched term is drawn, a member of the set of target ontologies specified in the query
OpenSearch might also be a point of reference for a web-based search interface.